Sunday 15 July 2012

Welcome to the Jungle

Hi

Welcome to the Baxters Allotment Journey Blog. I started blogging in October 2011 as a way of documenting my Fatman to Ironman journey & my quit smoking progress.

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/

That's all going well & i manage to update it on a weekly basis. I would like to mirror that here. Even if nobody reads it, it will be a good reminder for myself & family. I'm still on the ironman journey by the way, but 2 stone lighter & a non smoker for over a year. I will incorporate plot digging into my training.

So, I am quite a novice to gardening. Done the planting flowers thing etc, tried to do veggies but have not had much success in the past. I also don't have much spare cash so this will need to be done on a bit of a budget. No time limit so the development of the plot will take as long as it takes.

Quite fancy having a plot with some veggies, fruit plants & some chickens. The plot I have been allocated after just over 2 years on the waiting list is 250 SQM & looks like a bloody Jungle.

250sqm of jungle

The plot stretches to the green shed in the centre
There is a shed but the roof has pretty much gone. I can probably repair that for now.

Short term plan of action.

Read up on gardening
Start to clear the jungle
Repair shed
Create compost area
Fence off the front of plot & attach a door with padlock

Well, that's it for now. Comments and advice from experienced gardeners will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks



1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Looks like a good sized plot.

    Some tips -

    Draw a plan of the whole plot, may not sound like much, but if you can start and finish a job in a day, it'll feel great!

    Do one thing at a time, dig one bed, put the compost in and cover with tarp, cardboard or old carpets (if allowed) to keep the weeds down while you dig another bed.

    You can plant out some things now - garlic, onions, broad beans and some winter cabbages. Plant something now so you have something to keep an eye on and look forward to over winter.

    Check out what other plotholders are growing/have grown. Get these on your list of seeds to order, because they are virtually guaranteed to work out. Try something new each year, be adventurous (I've grown Cape Gooseberries from seed this year, and got fruit already)

    Good luck, get a flask and have fun!

    ReplyDelete